Wednesday is a day ruled by planet Mercury and Mercury by it’s nature is adoptable and diverse; dual in nature. Mercury is connected to our mental processes, way our mind analyzes data and the way we think about things. Agates are coolest looking minerals out there,seriously. There is so many varieties, colors and shapes with agates so everyone can find agate destined just for them.
Some of the first known agates come from Sumeria & Egypt where they were used in both ornamental purposes and played important parts in their religious ceremonies. This stone later appeared in Sicily, Greece around 400 BC and it was used in jewelry making & beads. This stone was pale white to tan colored and therefore all stones similar to this one are called Greek agates.
Agate stone was given name by Theophrastus , greek philosopher & naturalist who discovered stones along the shore of the river Achates found in present day Sicily, between 4th & 3rd century BCE. Many chalcedonies & agates were obtained over 3000 years ago from the Achates river, now called Dirillo.
This lovely stone was mostly used in the art of stone carving and has been recovered at a number of ancient sites indicating its widespread use in the ancient world, especially in examples of archaeological recovery at the Knossos site on Crete illustrates its role in Bronze Age Minoan culture.
Why is this stone so awesome?
Just like there are so many mental sets of different people, there are also that many different varieties of agate. Its amazing shapes and colors make this stone available to everybody, even the toughest tastes.
- Cyclops agate that is green, golden, red or black in color and it’s symbolized by “eye inside”.
- MOSS AGATE – fern-like patterns formed due to the presence of manganese & iron oxides. Sometimes shapes make it look like there is a tiny forest inside.
- ENHYDRO AGATE – contains tiny inclusions of water, sometimes with air bubbles. See how it looks like here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F3HL5e9ACs
- TURRITELLA AGATE –formed from silicified fossils Elimia tenera shells. E. tenera are spiral freshwater gastropods having elongated spiral shells composed of many whirls. Other organic remains such as coral or petrified wood can also become agatized. Agatized coral is often referred to as PETOSKEY stone or agate.
- BRAZILIAN AGATE – found as sizable geodes of layered modules. Brownish tones interlayered with white and gray creating a striking specimen when cut opposite the layered growth axis. Often dyed in various colors for ornamental purposes.
- RAINBOW AGATE -when examined in thin sections by transmitted light, shows diffraction spectrum due to the extreme delicacy of the successive bands, whence they are named rainbow agates. They often coexist with other layers of masses with opal, jasper or crystalline quartz due to ambient variations during the formation. It’s also known as Iris agate crystal.
- LACE AGATE- exhibits a lace-like pattern with forms such as eyes, swirls, bands or zigzags (if these predominate it’s called lattice agate). Crazy lace agate is often found in Mexico. It’s brightly colored & complexity patterned. Blue lace agate is found in Africa and it’s especially hard.
- POLYHEDROID AGATE- which has grown in flat-sided shape similar to a polyhedron. When sliced, it often shows a characteristic layering of concentric polygons. Polyhedroid agate is thought to be found only in Paraiba state, Brazil. It has been suggested that growth is not crystallography controlled but is due to the filling in of spaces between pre-existing crystals which have since dissolved.
- HOLLEY BLUE AGATE – rare dark blue ribbon agate only found near Holley, Oregon.
Other important agate mentions: Lake superior agate, Botswana agate, Plume agate, Condor agate,Binghamite (variety only found in Montana), Fire agate (showing internal flash of “fire”, the result of a layer of clear agate over a hydrothermally deposited hematite”) , Patuxent river stone and more… Find your favorite 🙂
AGATE PHYSICAL STONE PROPERTIES:
- chalcedony variety
- Formula: SiO2 silicon dioxide
- crystal system, Rhombohedral microcrystalline
- alternating with microgranular quartz
- characterized by its fineness of grain and variety of color
- classically associated with volcanic rocks and common in metamorphic rocks
- HARDNESS: 6.5-7
AGATE METAPHYSICAL PROPERTIES:
- lower intensity, vibrates to a slower frequency than other stones
- strengthening & stabilizing influence
- great for balancing mental & intellectual
- harmonizes yin & yang
- makes peace in oppositions
- inner stability and maturity
- good stone to use during mental work or study
- helps new mothers to fight baby blues
- stops burning desires for things we don’t need
- helps in juggling commitment and multiple jobs
- helps writers express ideas in marketable form
- promotes martial fidelity
- protection for traveling and protection against transport accidents
- aids in ideas & inspiration for artists
- security for police, telephone & internet & cable workers, cooks, chefs and bakers
- enhances concentration % mental clarity, perception & analytical abilities
- used as elixir stimulates digestive system & relives gastritis
- good for eyes, hollow organs such as stomach, intestines, uterus etc.
- especially good for working with hands and arms
ASTROLOGY: This stone is connected to planet Mercury according to William Lilly. It is therefore primarily connected to Mercury ruled signs Gemini & Virgo, but also Aquarius, Sagittarius, Pisces and anyone who wants to enhance their mental abilities.
Post started on Mercury day, Sun hour
Post finished on Mercury day, Venus hour
If you need advice on astrology or crystals e-mail me to schedule your own personal consultations firstname.lastname@example.org